I cant imagine why ANYONE would be still using Word 1, but we came across a client today who needed to open files the were receiving from a Government Department in MS Word 1 format.
Word 2007 has some security built in preventing that, below is the workaround.
This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
You try to open a file that was saved in one of the following earlier Word formats. Word 2007 no longer supports documents that were saved in the following Word formats:
• Microsoft Word for Windows 1.x
• Microsoft Word for Windows 2.x
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
In Word 2007, you can disable the restriction. If you disable the restriction, you can open documents that were saved in an earlier version of Word. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Exit Word 2007.
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then select the following registry subkey:
Note This registry subkey may not exist. If the subkey is not present, you must create it.
4. After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
5. Type FilesBeforeVersion, and then press ENTER.
6. Right-click FilesBeforeVersion, and then click Modify.
7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
8. On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.